Friday 19 May 2023

Gamebook Friday: Russ Nicholson

I was very sorry to hear this week that Russ Nicholson passed away last Wednesday after a short illness. 

As some of you will already know, Russ wasn't well enough to draw any new illustrations for the Heorot RPG, although the book is chock full of his artwork anyway.

It was a dream come true, and a real pinch me moment, to have him collaborate with me on Beowulf Beastslayer, as it was his illustration of a Ghoul that drew me into The Warlock of Firetop Mountain when I picked up the first Fighting Fantasy gamebook in 1982.

I also had a wonderful time with Russ and his wife Jacqui at MantiCon in Germany in 2019. He was a great raconteur and a lovely man to boot. He will be greatly missed and my thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time.

RIP Russ.

No comments: