Sunday 4 July 2010

Visit to Four Marks School, Alton

A couple of weeks ago I was invited to talk about Fighting Fantasy gamebooks at Four Marks School in Alton, Hampshire. I duly went along on a Friday morning for meet with Years 4-6 and lead them through the process of creating a Fighting Fantasy adventure.

The children's role was crucial in this. They ended up not only deciding what the adventure was called but created the monsters that appeared within it as well. They then each generated a character and went on the adventure.

The children at Four Marks taking part in my Fighting Fantasy writing workshop


It was great spending time talking to the children at Four Marks and their enthusiasm inspired me. They came up with some great monster names too! And then last week I received an email with thank you letters attached from some of the children.

So it just remains for me to say a big thank you to all those children who attended, and wrote thanks you letters, as well as the staff - especially Mrs Hammond, the school's literacy coordinator - and Claire of the Little Green Dragon Bookshop who provided numerous copies of Bloodbones and Night of the Necromancer for the children to buy.

Hopefully I'll be going back to the school for another visit in the future and, after the warm welcome I received last time, it's certainly one I'll look forward to.

If you would like me to visit your school, to talk about Fighting Fantasy or any of my other writing work, please don't hesitate in dropping me a line, via a comment on this post.

No comments: