Friday 6 December 2019

Gamebook Friday: NaNoWriMo and The Roleplaying Game Before Christmas

Today is something of a day of disappointments.

First of all, I failed to hit the NaNoWriMo target of 50,000 words this year, despite starting with 10,000 words already in the bank. I was about 2,200 away from the target, with two days to go, but then last Friday was taken up with prepping with Dragonmeet and Saturday was Dragonmeet itself, which meant I didn't have any time (or energy) left to make my goal.

On the upside, Dracula - Curse of the Vampire is about one fifth written, and I'm pleased with how it's going. However, it's going to have to go on the back-burner again until the New Year as I have other projects demanding my attention at the moment, and my own stuff always has to take a backseat to paid gigs.

The other reason for my disappointment is that 'TWAS - The Roleplaying Game Before Christmas isn't funding on Kickstarter. Current projections are that it will only reach around 70% of its funding goal. I had really hoped that people would get behind this but so far only about 60 people have, and I need around 200 people to back it to achieve funding. And even then, it will only be at the most basic level, which means there won't be very much more of Tony Hough's artwork, which in itself is disappointing.

Despite having run 12 Kickstarters, and had 9 of them fund, sometimes it feels like I'm starting from scratch when I launch a new one, especially when it's not just another gamebook or history of Fighting Fantasy. Clearly, the people who back my Kickstarters are first and foremost gamebook fans.

I think part of the problem is that sometimes I spread myself too thin and then I don't feel like I'm really accomplishing anything.

But today is another day, and next week is another week. I just need to refocus my attention.


No comments: