Friday 10 February 2012

Human Nature - a new review

Thanks to David Kenyon for this:


Another exciting chapter in the Pax Britannia series by Jonathan Green... Yet again I wasn't let down by a fast paced novel full of action set pieces. I wasn't sure what to expect from this one to be truthful as the first act deals with the theft of the Whitby mermaid and offers some great action as Quicksilver searches for the thief in a pastiche of 'Oliver', but with monkeys and some Holmesian references as well...which I enjoyed.

Jonathan is like a magpie, collecting gems of literature and giving them a steampunk twist... I adored the second act and read it very quickly as I couldn't put it down. I've always loved a monster story and love body horror and this series has given me some great monsters to visualize in my mind.

The author also does some abominable things to his hero... What I loved about this act was that my favourite character Nimrod had a chance to shine...

As I've said before, if you want some fabulous monster writing in a world of steampunk, dashing and daring characters you will love this series. I'm already into the next book Evolution Expects and it's gotten off to a great start.


You can pick up your copy of Human Nature here, or buy it along with Unnatural History and Leviathan Rising as part of The Ulysses Quicksilver Omnibus here.

No comments: