Buy a signed hardback copy of YOU ARE THE HERO

Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Are you experienced?

Recently, over on her blog Nail Your Novel, Roz Morris asked the question 'Why do authors get treated so badly?'

Now, before I get going, don't worry - this isn't going to be some bleeding heart blog berating my situation in life. I get to spend all day making stuff up and at the end of the day (hopefully) get paid for it. I am very lucky. But the point Roz raises is an interesting and relevant one.

You should also remember that I am a professional. I'm not going to name names or besmirch reputations, but I am going to share a couple of my own experiences with you...

Like the time the blurb on the back of a book of mine gave away the big reveal twist ending that came in the last chapter - a blurb I didn't get to see for myself until the book was already published. (Which really didn't help make the reviews any more favourable.)

Or the time a book came out with startling similarities to one of mine, which popular opinion said wasn't as well-written as mine, but whose author had a better deal than me and went on to sell a lot more copies than me and make a lot more cash. (Not that I'm bitter, or anything.)

Or the occasion when an editor who had rejected my novel tried to persuade another writer to submit something - and talked of begging another author to do the same - right in front of me. (That was considerate.)

The thing about all of the above is that they weren't career-ending catastrophes. I've got over these hiccups and moved on. There's plenty I'm very proud of, but I still feel - or at least hope - that my best is yet to come. And when it comes I'll have the nouse to make sure I reap the rewards of whatever level of success it achieves.

Until next time...


PS - Of course there are some publishers/agents/editors I'm still waiting to hear back from, more than two years after I sent them something to ponder over...

1 comment:

Richard Salter said...

I have similar stories. I suspect every writer who has been around a bit has them too... My "favourite" is the novel proposal that got "lost" for two years. When it was found, I was told by the editor, "If I'd seen this a year ago, I'd have commissioned it. Now we're doing something else..."