Thursday 11 August 2011

What it's like to be a writer...

All of us penmonkeys have had to deal with the consequences of explaining to lesser mortals what being a writer actually entails, and it's never easy. It's why when us writerly types get together things can get a little vociferous and... enthusiastic, shall we say?

Only the other day my good lady wife asked how much longer it was going to take me to finish the first part of Time's Arrow (deadline is Monday!) and the conversation went a little like this.

"Well, I've got to finish editing* Chapter 6. And I now realise I need to add in a new chapter."

"How long's that going to be?"

"About 2,000 words."

"Which means you'll write about twice that."

"And then edit it down. And then I've got to give the whole thing a final read-through and polish."

"So how long's all this going to take?"

"A couple of days."**

"A couple of DAYS?!?"

I should point out at this juncture that my wife and I have been together for almost twelve years, but she still doesn't completely understand what it is I do all day.

Anyway, certified penmonkey Chuck Wendig has written the definitive blogpost on what it means to be a writer, just be prepared for a little profanity along the way.***


* Which in my world actually means 're-writing'.

** It's sooo nearly finished!

*** Which is good advice for life in general, really.

No comments: