Friday 26 November 2010

A NaNoWriMo update

So, on November 1 I signed up to National Novel Writing Month (a.k.a. NaNoWriMo), with the intention of spurring myself on to meet a challenging deadline. But then for one reason or another I didn't actual start writing until November 8. And yet, as of today I've reached the magic 50,000 word target, a few days early. But what does this really mean?

It means very little, as far as I can tell. I may have reached 50,000 words plus, but I'm only one third of the way through my novel and of those 50,000 words, by the time I've re-written, edited and polished it, it will be nearer 30,000 words.


I realise that NaNoWriMo is great fun for a great number of people and probably highly motivating for others. Maybe some even end up with something of publishable worth at the end of the experience. But for a professional (and I use the term as loosely as possible) writer like myself, it's been more of a millstone around my neck and an pretty useless target-setter. I won't be bothering to do it again.

I'll keep updating my progress until the end of the month but don't expect me to plaster my blog with banners saying 'NaNoWriMo Winner' or anything.

So, it's time to get back to work. There's the next chapter of Anno Frankenstein to get written, and my Spring-Heeled Jack story to continue, as well as numerous proposals for other books which I'll have to write whether it's NaNoWriMo or not.

Until next time...

No comments: