Wednesday 3 November 2010

Want To Be A Freelancer? Just Punch Yourself In The Face, Instead

I recently moved to the country and, as one of my editors put it, now spend all my time shooting pheasants and drinking port. My dearly beloved is also under the illusion that life for me is just one long holiday. You see, the children have been on half term (as has my wife) and so, by default, have I.

However, as a self-employed freelance writer, the truth is that I am never really on holiday. The down side of the family being on holiday means that I don't get any work done. And if I don't get any work done, I don't get paid. Simple as that.

Last year the family visited Disneyworld. In the evenings I was busy writing a book. When we went to Rome this year, in the evenings I was busy doing what work I could.

Now, before you go and get out the violins or cry me a river, or some such, of course I am also doing what I love, day in, day out. And it's a good thing too, otherwise what would be the point?

If you're considering the freelance life yourself, you should check out Chuck Wendig's post on being a freelance penmonkey...

No comments: