Sunday 5 May 2013

Free Comic Book Day at Forbidden Planet and Gosh! Comics

So, I was in London yesterday for Free Comic Book Day.

I headed to Forbidden Planet to meet the legend that is Ron Smith - his Dredds were the first ones I ever read - and catch up with old friends Al Ewing and Dan Abnett (knowing that I would also get to have a good chat with Nik Vincent as a result).

Al Ewing - his new novel, The Fictional Man, scored a 5 star review in SFX magazine!

 Ben Willsher - and his art.

Dan Abnett and Ron Smith - two comics legends. 

Yours Truly with the legend that is Mr Ron Smith! 

I waited my turn in the queue with David Tallerman and his girlfriend Jobeda so the time just flew by (where I also happened to bump into Warlock Steven Dean and Bibliophile Mark de Jager).

David Tallerman and Jobeda. 

From Forbidden Planet I headed to the Gosh! Comics store in Soho, where I bumped into Gary Northfield and also had a chat with Robbie Morrison about the end of Nikolai Dante and beyond.

Gary Northfield and The Terrible Tales of the Teenytinysaurs.

Free Comic Book Day isn't just about picking up some freebies and chatting with comics creators, of course; it's also about supporting the actual comics shops. I did my bit by picking up a copy of Gary Northfield's The Terrible Tales of the Teenytinysaurs (for the kids) and I N J Culbard's adaptation of H P Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness (for me).

My Free Comic Book Day stash.


Five things I didn't know this time yesterday that I do now

1. Al Ewing is writing for Marvel, but can't say talk about it.
2. Dan Abnett is writing for video games now, but can't talk about it.
3. Ron Smith is an incredibly well-spoken gentleman.
4. A certain other author and I share certain opinions about certain things (but we're not going to talk about it).
5. Robbie Morrison is annoyed that the collected Nikolai Dante runs to 11 volumes. He would rather it was 10 or 12, so that it was a nice round number.

2 comments:

Nicola Vincent-Abnett said...

That other author will, inevitably spill the beans about the things that Jon alluded to; she almost always does... eventually.

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, nice haul there!