Wednesday 20 March 2013

James Herbert (1943-2013)

This afternoon, I heard the news that best-selling British horror writer James Herbert has died at his home in Sussex.

I've enjoyed reading his novels over the years (I discovered Herbert before I discovered Stephen King) as well as various adaptations of his stories on both the big and small screen. And then last year, at FantasyCon 2012, I found myself standing next to him in the bar at the Royal Albion Hotel.

I was about to speak to him when I suddenly became overwhelmed by fanboy shyness. He didn't appear to be in particularly good health, and I decided not to bother the great man. Today I find myself joining with all those who have been inspired by his books over the years in mourning his passing.

You always regret the things you don't do.

It's worth reminding yourself of that fact every once in a while.


James Herbert
(8 April 1943 – 20 March 2013)

No comments: