Thursday 14 April 2016

The London Book Fair 2016

Yesterday I attended the London Book Fair. This was my second visit, so I had a much better idea of what to expect, compared to last year.


The London Book Fair. It's massive! (This is just one hall of many.)

What I didn't expect was to be greeted by someone who I had only previously met via Facebook, by name. So thanks to Simon Frith* of Panini comics for introducing himself.

Purely by chance, I then found myself at the Funny Books talk, organised by my friend Alex Milway (the man behind the 'This Book is Funny!' campaign), which featured Gary Northfield, Philip Ardagh, and Kate Davies (senior editor at Walker Books).

Gary Northfield sniffing the water, just to be sure.

Some of Alex Milway's books at the fair.

Some of my books were also there!


Since 23rd April 2016 marks the 400th anniversary of the death of William Shakespeare, there was a significant focus on the Bard, including a pop-up Globe Theatre.



The Globe in all its glory!


Adult colouring books were everywhere as well, but you won't find me complaining about that! ;-)


This is where the real work happens at the London Book Fair, in the International Rights Centre.

I had a few meetings to attend after that, and it was good to meet up with Lydia Gittins again (formerly with Rebellion Publishing but now with Titan Books).


But at the end of the day I found myself at the Snowbooks stand, just in time for the Independent Publishers Guild drinks. Which was nice.


And who should I bump into there, but Tim Bayley, who has contributed a very special story to the Shakespeare Vs Cthulhu Kickstarter. More drinks at the pub followed, so all in all a very successful day. :-)


* Simon is another life-long devotee of Fighting Fantasy gamebooks!

No comments: