Friday 8 June 2018

Gamebook Friday: ACE Gamebooks at the UK Games Expo

Last weekend, I spent a very rewarding three days at the UK Games Expo.


I first attended the convention when it was held at the Clarendon Suites in Edgbaston, and its incredible to consider what Tony Hyams and Richard Denning have achieved, when you think that this year the Expo took over both Hall 1 and Hall 2 of the NEC as well as the Hilton hotel.

I was based in Hall 2, along with Ian Livingstone, and I had a fine array of Snowbooks-published books to sell, including my YOU ARE THE HERO histories and the ACE Gamebooks Alice's Nightmare in Wonderland and The Wicked Wizard of Oz.


I had a great time meeting Facebook friends, Kickstarter backers, and John Robertson of The Dark Room fame. I even caught up with an old university friend who I'd not seen in 22 years, as well as fellow author and editor George Mann and ace artist, and former collaborator, Ralph Horsley.

The Wicked Wizard of Oz was very well received, and plenty of people were still keen to pick up a copy of Alice's Nightmare in Wonderland as well.



The UK Games Expo is one of my favourite conventions and I'll already looking forward to next year's event, as well as planning what I'm going to take with me, which will definitely include NEVERLAND - Here Be Monsters!


1 comment:

Mikey said...

So is there any way to obtain a copy of You Are The Hero part 1 apart from paying £150 for a copy on ebay or £400 on Amazon?! My friend was at the UK Games Expo demo-ing for Queen Games and by the time he got to you on Sunday you had already packed up and were about to leave :-(

I'm sad I can't learn about how it all started, it was a large part of my childhood growing up.

Mike