Wednesday 23 January 2019

Warhammer Wednesday: Funko Pop! Space Marines

The news broke on the Warhammer Community website Monday that Games Workshop and Funko have joined forces to bring the world the first Warhammer 40,000 Funko Pop! figures. And which characters have they chosen for the first tranche of releases? Why, the four iconic Chapters Space Marines...

Ultramarines

Space Wolves

Dark Angels

Blood Angels

I probably found the news more exciting than a man of my age should, but the thing is, I am a big fan of Funko Pops. I am such a fan that I had to make a rule for myself long ago, so that I wouldn't fill my flat with the things: I will only buy a figure if I have written for the character.

It is for this reason that I own Funko Pops of Judge Dredd, the Twelfth Doctor, Alice, the Cheshire Cat, Krampus, Cthulhu, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Leonardo, and Frankentstein's Creature*. (I could also have figures of the Tenth Doctor and Eleventh Doctor, the other Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and even their van, Jabba the Hutt and the Rancor Beast, but have managed to resist so far.)

When the Space Marine Funko Pops are released, according to my rule, three will be eligible for purchase because my first Warhammer 40,000 short story Salvation featured an Ultramarine, and I wrote the colour text for the old Angels of Death Codex, which included both the Dark Angels and Blood Angels Chapters. So now I just need to write a story about a Space Wolf...



* I would also love to have a Funko Pop! of a Flying Monkey, but they go for over £200 on eBay.

No comments: